I guess, it is like that feeling of knowing that “This is the person with whom I want to spend the rest of my life” The only difference here being, it keeps happening to me again and again, and as much as I wish that it would be for a girl; sadly it isn’t. In my case it’s Bombay. But the way certain people are fond of it and describe it is certainly not how I like it. That’s one of the reasons why I don’t publicly support the “I love Mumbai” bandwagon. I like it differently. The silent admirer. So here I am today, confessing my love.
There is something about this city that makes me fall for it, every single time I make a visit here, and believe me, every visit to this awesome place on earth has opened a new door for me out of nowhere. That is why I call this post “connect”
Though I’ve never lived in Mumbai, I just admire it in my own idiotic way which is probably why I never agree with the die-hard fans and people who have grown up here. A few significant things decisions and events in my life have had a strange connection with this place. Like the first toy I remember having played with, was from Mumbai. The first time I saw the sea....the first time I saw an aeroplane....my first journey alone in a train......the first time I got lost in a street.....the fist time I saw a couple kissing off-screen...... :)....and it's probably the first time I've felt something missing within me.....
Other things like......it is here in Mumbai, after a casual visit to JJ College Of Architecture, I decided I wanted to do it (I had no idea what it was called) and here. But it wasn’t to be, wasn’t to be in Mumbai I mean. Training during architecture “HAD” to be in Mumbai. It was all set, but again....it wasn’t to be.
After a year of working in Pune I said enough and was all set “filmi” style to pack my bags and head towards Mumbai to find my destiny there. I did that....but only managed to give the entrance exams for IDC and NID. I was keen on IDC. And in fact I made a small prayer on the Sardar bridge over Sabarmati river the day my interview was done “Please don’t get me into NID”. But again...........
And now I’m here sitting in this dingy IIT faculty quraters, dimly lit with a 60W yellow bulb, tons of winged creatures and a guy from Lebanon staring at me from across the beds laid out in the living room, thinking what I am scribbling. Can’t think of making a conversation with him; looks scary, more so coz he’s built like an ox. They are three actually, and my friend calls them “The three avtaars of Jesus Christ” coz they all look the same, with long hair beard and the tall well built look.
Coming back to Mumbai......if there’s one thing I envy is the pulse. I can just feel it everytime I’m here. It’s like being suddenly thrown into a faster water current after paddling for hours in still river water (sabarmati....hehe)
The pulse and the feel is so strong that it puts me into the “GO-OUT-THERE-AND-DO-SOMETHING” mode instantly. Though Mumbai and almost every aspect of it is Bollywood driven (including the people here) it gives a chance to every other person that steps into the city.....(that line itself is so Bollywood....hahaha)
Ok looks like it’s rubbed on to me as well......well then.....the opening lines of “Satya” say.........."Mumbai.....ek aisa shehar jise neend nahi aati.....jo jaagte hue bhi sapne dekhta hai”
I guess this line sums it up and makes me get back to it again and again and again.
9th February 1:00 A.M IIT Powai
2 comments:
yes...i dunno about what else can i strongly say about without being biased regarding mumbai..but the one thing i surely feel, without any emotional link to this city is definitely the 'pulse'.
i never realised how 'different' the city was till i had to live outside of it.
and yes...its ok to show your love for the city publicly..once in a while atleast!! :)
Post a Comment